Frankfort Fire Chief Chuck Congiliaro has confirmed that the cause of the fire was deemed accidental. Workmen were grinding floor metal which caused sparks in one of the buildings.
The Village of Frankfort's one-time largest employer went up in flames Wedneday. At its peak Union Fork and Hoe employed over 300 Central New Yorkers. But, Wednesday night, the abandoned warehouse was engulfed in flames.
Raw Video of Frankfort Union Tools Building
"My main concern is the residents that live on Orchard Street to make sure they are not subject to any type contamination or chemicals from the union tool site," says Village of Frankfort Mayor Frank Moracco.
The community looked on as
fire crews from all over Herkimer and Oneida Counties were trying to knock down
The fire broke out a little before 2 in the afternoon. Many on-lookers told Eyewitness News they could see the fire and smoke miles away, billowing from the building. One woman who moved from Florida two weeks ago tells Eyewitness News her uncle owns a nearby property.
"It's my uncle's property and we have been storing our camper and pictures. The firefighter did a great job saving our belongings. It's amazing to see all the firefighters coming together. They don't know what is going on right now. There may be unknown chemicals in there. They are working together. It's amazing," says Holly Mason.
Eyewitness News also spoke with a man who works across the street at Turbo Machined Products and he says the fire crews made the employees in that building to evacuate just in case the fire were to spread. Mayor Frank Moracco says that Union Fork and Hoe relocated their business to Pennsylvania and the building was scheduled to be demolished.